Quarantine, Week 8

Hard to believe we’ve been “quarantining” for 2 months now…but we have.

This week looked a little different than our previous weeks of quarantine. We were busier, for one ย thing.

This was the last official week of school. It also happened to be teacher appreciation week…and my class blessed me BIG time. A mom dropped off presents for me on Sunday night, one for each day of the week. And WOW. I was blown away by the generosity of my class! I also received all kinds of sweet cards and letters in the mail all week long.


Monday lunch on the porch, because the weather was beautiful:


And, this girl is looking ENTIRELY too old:


Monday was also Josie’s best friend’s birthday. Her dad just happens to own Golly G’s, so they hosted a surprise “porch party” for her at Golly G’s. I took the kids and we hung out on the outskirts of the porch (a safe distance away, of course) for a little bit. I did tell Jo to get close for just one quick picture, though. ๐Ÿ™‚ The kiddos were excited to see some friends they have been missing. We still aren’t ready for indoor gatherings, but small outdoor gatherings seem okay (for now anyways. This is a strange time, right now, and we are struggling to know what is okay and what is not…so we are just taking it one day at a time, one decision at a time.


Tuesday afternoon I met Casey at the farm so I could take Emery’s 9 month pictures. It was EVERYTHING I could do not to scoop her up in her arms, but I refrained and stayed a safe distance away. ๐Ÿ™‚ But we got SO MANY cute shots. She is so sweet, and a major ham. The boys had a blast getting to run around in the woods together, too.


After I got back home, we ran a lawn mower implement we were getting rid of over to a family in Ridgetop…and then on a whim, we decided to go by Taco Bell and pick up dinner. I mean…it WAS Taco Tuesday AND Cinco De Mayo. ๐Ÿ™‚


Tuesday night, because it came in the mail early and Jake couldn’t wait, he gave me my birthday/Mother’s day gift- an espresso machine!! I was so excited! It makes the BEST cup of coffee-restaurant quality. I have made a LOT of coffee this week, HA! The kiddos have been enjoying the steam feature too, and have been making themselves “steamers.”


Wednesday was a busy day for me, and not a typical “school” day. Every year my fourth graders have Greek and Roman Day….well, this year we had to do that virtually, since we were already “distance learning” when we would’ve had our celebration. So I decided to host a virtual day on Thursday. Normally, I make these Ancient Roman Honey Cookies for the kiddos on this day, and I didn’t want this class to miss out. So, all day on Wednesday I baked up four batches of these cookies, bagged them up, and then Wednesday afternoon I went and sat on the porch of the school and my kids’ parents came and picked up their kids’ “surprise.” It was good to be out and see people (from a distance). I even got to hang out with Lindsey for a bit.


I made one delivery to one of my students that couldn’t pick up, and then we went and dropped off some baby clothes to Dan and Hannah (on their porch)-it was so good to see them! Then we came home and ate some chili.

Almost the last day of school…and distance learning!

Thursday was Greek/Roman day for my class! I told them to bring their lunch to our Zoom class and wear their costumes. I sent an email to the parents, giving them a list of the foods we normally eat on Greek and Roman day, and also asking them to let their kids set up their Zoom call so they could eat “reclining” on the floor like we normally do at school on this day. Even though we weren’t together, I tried to make this a special day for my class…and I think they had fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

The things we do for our students, LOL.

Thursday evening I had another senior boy photo shoot, this time at my parents’ house. Jake and the kiddos went with me. It was good to see Grammy and Pappy for a bit, and Shshr came by, too. Afterwards we ran by Nana’s house to drop off some lettuce at her house. It was so good to see all of them. I can’t WAIT to go inside their houses and hug all of their necks, though.


Watching Pappy clean his fish….

Friday was an exciting day. It was the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. And my birthday.

Our last day of school picture sure did look different this year-no uniforms! And, of course, we weren’t actually AT school…it felt different, for sure. Anti climatic, really. And…these kids have changed A LOT since the beginning of school, especially Jack!


My birthday was nice. Jake made me breakfast. The kiddos surprised me with sweet cards and gifts. Josie made me three pot holders that I forgot to take a picture of.


I got cards in the mail from sweet family, friends, and students. Mama Judy stopped by and dropped me off a present. ๐Ÿ™‚ A family from my school stopped by to bring me sweet cards, gifts, and flowers. A sweet girl from church came and brought me some flowers, too.


Friday afternoon we spent time covering up all the plants in the garden, because we had a freeze warning for that night…in MAY?! ย Something that we could never remember happening before, for sure.


Friday evening we went and picked up my birthday dinner from Ichiban-sushi-YUM. We ate in the living room while we watched a movie together. Then we went to Golly G’s so I could get a birthday milkshake. ๐Ÿ™‚ It was a great birthday, despite being quarantined. My people know how to make me feel special. I am very blessed with such wonderful family and friends.


My birthday continued into Saturday morning because Mom, Dad, and Nana came by and Mom and Dad brought me birthday donut holes and a present. ๐Ÿ™‚



We spent a lot of Saturday working in the yard. Jake worked on cleaning out the fire pit, and the kids and I weeded the garden. (Which all survived the freeze!)


We went Saturday afternoon to get a rose bush that had been Granny’s out of Mama Judy’s yard to plant by our trellis. Hopefully it will survive! We’ve planted several things here but nothing has “stuck” yet.

I even got to sit in a chair and pretend I was camping, LOL. Which was good for my soul…we got the disappointing news this week that our Memorial Day camping trip is cancelled because the campgrounds still won’t be open. ๐Ÿ™ This bummed me out more than it probably should’ve. But it did. I’m praying they will open up before our July trip!


And just one more picture of this goofy boy…who built a fort on his bed. And has been sleeping in it every night…curled up in just one corner ๐Ÿ™‚

It was a good week. Grateful for my family. Grateful for sweet friends. Grateful that we are healthy, safe, well fed, and have a beautiful house, yard, and farm to run in. Grateful Jake and I still have jobs. Grateful for another year of life. Grateful for many, many things.



Leave a Reply