Camp, Camping, and a brand-new Niece

We just got back this week from our annual Dale Hollow July trip. It was a great trip, but also a very eventful/unusual trip!

First off, I picked Jo up from church camp, and we headed STRAIGHT to the lake. So she wasn’t home for almost 3 weeks…which she was totally fine with! She had a blast Β at camp-I’m so glad she got the opportunity to go again, and I am so thankful for the awesome chaperones from our church that made it possible!

She said the highlights for her were TPing the boys’ cabin, and worship time-she really loved their speaker and worship leaders.

We were glad to get our girl back!



The unusual part of our trip was the crazy scheduling. Usually most of my family is there pretty much at the same time, with some overlapping here and there. But this time, because of Casey’s new baby coming, Josie’s church camp dates, and Chad’s SWAT training, we all needed to be up there at different times. We came up on Friday night, Chad and Lesa were leaving Sunday night. (they had been there with Mom and Dad all the week that Jo was at church camp. Shshr and Nana were there with us for the first half of our trip; Mom and Dad left on Thursday after we got there. Ta and Tommy and Josh and Jackie were there for the second half of our trip, too, and Christie and Andy and the kiddos were at their house for part of all that time. Just a lot of going/coming. πŸ™‚


The first weekend we were there, the most exciting thing that happened was that both kiddos learned to ski!! They BOTH popped out of the water their very first try!


This was actually Josie’s second time up, because I was with her in the water the first time:

This was Jack’s official first time, because I let Josie video for us.

The first Monday of our trip, Jake and I had planned to go back to Hendersonville for our very last soccer game (it was a tournament). We were going to come back to the campground right after the game. The kiddos were staying at the campground with Grammy and Pappy. Well, while we were on the way there, we got the call that Casey was in labor! (2 weeks early!). So, that changed plans a bit. The kiddos ended up staying at the campground with Shshr and Nana, because Grammy and Pappy had to head home to get Lane and Beau. After our soccer game, we headed to get some dinner, and then right on over the hospital. We thought it would be pretty quick, because Casey’s other two labors had been pretty quick. Well…..that wasn’t the case this time. Miss Emery took her sweet time! Β Jake and I stayed in the waiting room all night, and then headed to our house around 5 in the morning to shower and get some rest. Then we got some lunch, and headed BACK to the hospital to wait a little more. πŸ™‚ Sweet Emery finally made her appearance, and we stuck around for a bit, and headed back to the campground Tuesday night, getting back about 10. So, a little different than we’d planned…..but I have a new niece! And she is beautiful!!


The rest of the trip was a bit less eventful. Mom and Dad came back with Lane and Beau to pack up their camper and head home. The Roses came on Wednesday, and Nana and Shshr left on Friday. So the rest of the trip was mostly just us and the Roses hanging out..and we had a great time! There was a lot of late nights and lazy mornings. Lots of swimming, kiddos playing in the sand, and boat rides. Lots of good food. Coffee. Fires. Late evening swims. Sunsets. Lots of ice cream. Kiddos kayaking. We just really enjoyed our time together, and soaked up every bit of relaxing and playing time we could. It is so much fun to have friends that are more like family. I love that my kiddos have friends to camp with…those are some of my favorite memories from camping growing up, getting to play with our “camping” friends. πŸ™‚




One night the kiddos slept in their hammocks! The Rose girls didn’t last as long, but our kiddos stayed out there until it started raining at about 4 in the morning. πŸ™‚


On our last full day, we had quite the adventure. We rode the boat to Sunset for some ice cream, and just to show the Roses that end of the lake, and then we hung out in a creek near Sunset. Hannah and Lindsey learned to ski! Josie skied some more, and I slalomed. Then we were headed to Sulfur for dinner. Well, on the way there it came a rainstorm! A HARD rain. Luckily, we were near Star Point, so we pulled in there and hung out on their dock while the rain passed. Then we ended up just heading back to the campground since it was raining cats and dogs at Sulfur still, and we were all drenched and COLD. πŸ™‚ We made soup and bundled up in our camper to hang out instead. πŸ™‚ Those are the best adventures, though! The ones you remember forever.


It was a great trip, and none of us were ready to leave! That’s the mark of a good vacation, though. We can’t wait to go back!




Leave a Reply